Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are low fat-low sugar muffins--healthy and tasty!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup natural bran
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 2 egg whites
- 3 -4 tablespoons honey or 3 -4 tablespoons maple syrup or 3 -4 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or 2 teaspoons rum extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- In a larger bowl, mash the banana and beat in the egg whites until mixture is frothy.
- Blend in the honey, vegetable oil (if using), orange juice and rum.
- Incorporate dry ingredients and blend just until combined.
- Lightly grease muffin tins and fill two-thirds.
- *This oil can be eliminated for completely fat-free muffins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Great flavors and pretty moist for being low-fat. I used the maple syrup and rum extract options, but looking forward to trying with honey.
A fan of muffins rich in whole grains, I loved these muffins for their texture and flavor. I used honey and rum extract to my batch and added about a half teaspoon of cinnamon. By accident, I omitted the oil, but they were just fine and remained quite moist. Not sweet at all, but that works fine with me as my breakfasts are generally accompanied by fresh fruit. Curious to see how they would work with molasses, but think that version would work better with vanilla instead. These were just divine with apricot jam which made me think some chopped dried fruit would put these over the top. Thanks Lorrie. Made for *Photo Swap #11*.
These are wonderful. I made the amount for 6 muffins and got 10 smaller ones. I needed to bring the sugars down for my needs and did that by using no sugar added maple syrup and replacing the orange juice with water to which I added 3/4 tsp orange extract and some Splenda. These are the sort of muffins that keep asking you to have "just one more" and they were perfect with my tea this afternoon. Thank you Lorrie for a healthy treat. Made for Photo Tag