Recipe by lauren losefast
This is my great-grandmother's apple pie recipe. It has a delicious crumble topping and just enough spice. The pie is better (obviously) with a home-made bottom crust. I use the "most incredible no fail pie crust" recipe also available on recipezaar. It's really not that hard and you can make it a week ahead of time and roll it out when you need it. Prep time does not include making pie crust.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 5 -6 cups peeled sliced and cored apples (best if tart. I use granny smith)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup firm butter
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- combine apples with white sugar, cinnamon, and 1 Tablespoon flour.
- pour apple mixture into unbaked pie crust.
- cut together 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1 cup flour until crumbly.
- pour crumble mixture on top of apples. Pack down slightly with fingers.
- Bake at 400 F for 50-60 mins, until topping is a medium golden brown.
- If the edges of your crust begin to look more cooked than the middle of the pie, you may cover the edges with foil for the last 20 minutes.
- let sit for 15 minutes before serving (to allow the pie to firm up).