Recipe by SarasotaCook
Fresh potabello and vegetables topped with a egg and baked until nice and gooey makes for a simple healthier option to fried eggs, toast, bacon but still has tons of flavor. A quick minute in the micro helps to get a head start. It is quick healthy and easy. This can easily be changed to what you have in your fridge. You can add some leftover cooked bacon, broccoli, any cheese, even chicken, sausage, olives, or pretty much anything. I just happen to like tomatoes, onions, red pepper, olives and a pepper jack cheese. But any combo works guys, just have fun. Just use enough stuffing to lightly fill the mushroom cap and top with the egg. That easy. Side dish, breakfast, or a light dinner ...anything goes.
Top Review by FLKeysJen
One of my favorite new recipes of 2012! I used yellow squash, red onion and green chiles...so delicious. The leftovers heated in the toaster oven for breakfast the next day (with a new fried egg) were just as good or even better!
- 4 portabello mushrooms (large and stems removed)
- 4 extra large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetables (I like to mix red peppers, olives, tomatoes and onions but use whatever you like)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Vegetables -- I like to prepare all my vegetables to stuff the mushroom by chopping and then cooking them for just a minute in the microwave to get a head start. The tomatoes are fine, but I after chopping all pretty small I add the peppers, onions and olives to a small bowl, just cover with a wet paper towel and cook 1 minute is all that is needed. Remove and add the tomatoes, bread crumbs, cheese, 1/3 of the salt and pepper and set to the side.
- Mushroom -- wrap in a wet paper towel and cook 1 minute on medium high in the microwave. Just to soften and get a head start.
- Stuff and bake -- After the mushroom cools slightly, just a minute or two, brush with olive oil inside and out and use 1/3 the salt and pepper to season the inside. Stuff with the vegetable and cheese mixture. Cook 15-20 minutes in a 425 degree on a cookie sheet in the oven on the middle rack. After 15 minutes, pull out and top each with a large egg. Put back in the oven and cook another 5-10 minutes until the egg is done to your liking.
- Gooey, cheesy and great flavor.