1/1 Photo of MOST ALLTIME FAVORITE! Italian Cream Cake
1 hr 10 mins
I used to make an Italian Cream Cake prior to making this particular recipe for many years that I swore was the best. Well I was wrong, because since I had the good luck in finding this recipe I've no longer gone back to the older cake recipe. Found it in "Taste of the South" magazine some 5 - 6 years ago. It's one of Trisha Yearwood's family recipes that was featured. I'm not even sure if she's given it in her cooking TV show. I've added a couple of little changes that I believe gave it a couple of extra points. But anyway, this cake is unsurpassed perfection on a plate and one I know I will treasure for many years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk, well shaken
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (for garnish if desired) or 1/2 cup toasted coconut (for garnish if desired)
ITALIAN CREAM FROSTING
- 1Preheat oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Grease and lightly flour three (9") round cake pans. Set aside.
- 3In a bowl, sift flour and soda together and set aside.
- 4Beat butter and shortening with sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer for approximately 5 minutes, or until fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. With the mixer on medium speed, add flour and buttermilk alternately, beginning and ending with buttermilk. Add vanilla, coconut, and pecans, and stir well to incorporate.
- 5In a separate bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Gently fold beaten egg whites into batter, just until blended. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 6Bake for 25 minutes. Test for doneness by touching the top of cake with your finger. Cake is done if it bounces back up. Cool layers on wire racks sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- 7When cake has cooled completely. spread frosting between layers and on sides and top of cake. Garnish with pecans or coconut, if desired.
- 8ITALIAN CREAM FROSTING:.
- 9Beat cream cheese and butter at high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and add sugar, vanilla and coconut extracts. Beat well until frosting is smooth.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for MOST ALLTIME FAVORITE! Italian Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 737.2
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 129.6 mg
- Sodium 273.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 75.8 g
- Protein 7.7 g