Recipe by Elmo
A spicy soup, perfect for cold weather days.
Top Review by JustJan
Elmo...This soup was awesome! I had two different types of stir fry veggies that I was afraid weren't going to last until the weekend and decided to make some type of soup with them. I ended up doing a search and stumbled across your recipe. I had to make a few changes to avoid returning to the store and ended up using 1/4 tsp. ground ginger instead of gingerroot, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar instead of rice wine vinegar, 1 T. sugar instead of fructose, 1 lb. of cubed chicken instead of shrimp and had to omit the bamboo shoots and cilantro. I only ended up using 1/2 tsp. of the red pepper flakes as we aren't as young as we used to be along with those still fresh 12 oz. stir fry veggie packages. Even with all of these changes this was an excellent soup! Can't wait to try it with the proper ingredients next time. If I wasn't trying to keep my carbs low, I would have served it in a bowl over either rice or chinese noodles or both...but that is how I got to be this size in the first place!!! I can't wait for the college kids to come home and try my latest soup!! Thank you Elmo! Jan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped garlic
- 2 (32 ounce) packages fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fructose
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (16 ounce) packagesfrozen stir fry vegetables
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled,deveined
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (10 ounce) packagechopped frozen spinach, , thawed and pressed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Stir in ginger and garlic and cook 3 minutes, until tender.
- Stir together 1 cup broth with cornstarch.
- Add mushrooms, bamboo, soy, vinegar, fructose, crushed red pepper, remaining broth and cornstarch mixture to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thickened.
- Stir in frozen mixed vegetables, shrimp, and cilantro.
- Simmer until shrimp is opaque, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach until just wilted, 2 minutes.
- Serve at once.