Recipe by Cook4_6
Full name: Morton's the Steakhouse Chopped Salad With Hearts of Palm, Artichoke Hearts, & Blue Cheese. Found this on another website courtesy of Morton's Steakhouse, and it sounds absolutely yummy! Posting to try later and hoping I won't be disappointed.
Top Review by eg4cg
Great!!! I loved the dressing, but can see how some might find the mustard over powering.... try adding honey to the vinaigrette or using a store made honey-mustard dressing.. Great salad!!! YUM!
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- 10 -12 frozen artichoke hearts (in brine, not marinated, about 12 ounces drained) or 10 -12 canned artichoke hearts (in brine, not marinated, about 12 ounces drained)
- 1 cup hearts of palm (about 12 ounces drained)
- 1 avocado
- 6 ounces blue cheese, such as Saga, Maytag (1 cup) or 6 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled (1 cup)
- 12 -14 slices cooked bacon, slices (crumbled, crisp-cooked bacon strips or equivalent amount of crisp real-bacon bits)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped hard-cooked egg (2 large eggs, see Note)
- 3⁄4 cup finely minced red onion
- 3⁄4 cup seeded chopped plum tomato
Dijon Vinaigrette (use 3/4 cup)
- 2⁄3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons Italian salad dressing mix, such as Good Seasons (see Note)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare vinaigrette: In a medium mixing bowl, combine the vinegar and 1/3 cup cup of water.
- Whisk the mustard and salad dressing mix until well mixed.
- Add the olive oil and whisk until the dressing is emulsified.
- Let the dressing rest for a few minutes before using so that the flavors can blend. Refrigerate in a tightly-lidded glass or rigid plastic container for up to 7 days and whisk before using.
- Note: If you use Good Seasons brand mix, two packets work well.
- To prepare salad: Cut the iceberg and romaine lettuces into ½-inch squares. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the artichoke hearts into eighths and the hearts of palm into 1/4-inch-long pieces and add to the lettuce.
- Peel the avocado and remove the pit. Cut the avocado into ½-inch cubes and add to the lettuce.
- Crumble the blue cheese over the salad. Sprinkle the bacon bits, chopped egg, onion, and tomato over the salad.
- Add the vinaigrette, toss well, and serve.
- Note: To hard-cook eggs, put them in a saucepan with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, remove from the heat, and set aside for 15 minutes, during which time the eggs will harden. This is a better method than cooking the eggs in boiling water. There is less chance of the eggs cracking.