Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Meredith Morton (played by Sarah Jessica Parker) prepares this strata for the eccentric Stone family in the movie "The Family Stone." If you have seen the movie, you undoubtedly remember the scene where this strata is dropped all over the kitchen floor! This recipe is from the DVD "special features."
- 8 slices white bread
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 14 ounces tomatoes, sliced
- 13 ounces sliced mushrooms, drained (or sauteed fresh)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch garlic salt
- parmesan cheese
- black olives, sliced
- Using a cookie cutter, donut cutter or lid from a jar, cut bread into shapes or circles. Set aside.
- Place bread scraps in bottom of buttered 13" by 9" baking dish. Layer half of the cheese over bread.
- Arrange half of the tomatoes and all of the onion rings and mushrooms over the cheese. Cover with the rest of the cheese.
- Arrange the bread shapes on the cheese. Put slices of the tomato in the center of each bread shape.
- Combine slightly beaten eggs, milk, salt, oregano and garlic salt. Pour over the bread.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and dot with olives. Cover. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Bake 1-1/2 hours in a 325 degree F oven, or until knife comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes or until firm.