Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like moist cake and chocolate and butterscotch chips, this cake is for you. It's one of my mom's most requested cakes. Very simple to make -- the ingredients are found in most people's pantries. This makes a very dense cake and is very rich. Enjoy!
- 1 (3 ounce) box vanilla pudding mix (NOT instant, must be the cook kind)
- 2 cups cold milk (skim milk is fine)
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 6 ounces nuts (walnuts and pecans are good)
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 6 ounces butterscotch chips
- Cook pudding w/2 cups cold milk as directed on box.
- While hot, dump in yellow cake mix (dry- do not add anything to the cake mix).
- Beat w/electric mixer just until mixed. Do not over-mix.
- Pour into an ungreased 13 x 9 cake pan.
- Batter will be sticky.
- Sprinkle nuts, chocolate and butterscotch chips on top.
- Do not stir.
- Bake@ 350 degrees for 27-30 minutes.
This is a great idea; very tasty, but I had some technical problems...the cake didn't really rise. My husband said that it was more like eating a bunch of chips, so if you like that rather than more cake, this is for you. I think I will try this again but let the cake cook first for about 15 minutes, and then sprinkle on the chips. I also recommend mixing the chips and nuts all together first so you don't get globs of the same chip in the same spot :) When I try this again, I'll update my results. Thank you for a great idea! The flavors were definitely rich and well matched.