Cook1 hr 30 mins
Posted for ZWT6.
Make and share this Morrocan Chicken With Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yams or 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- generous pinch saffron thread
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup couscous
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh mint
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, paprika, salt (optional), and pepper. Add the chicken and mix so that all sides are well covered.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the chicken in batches and cook, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato or yam, onion, garlic, bay leaf, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, saffron, raisins, dried apricots, and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender and the potatoes are very soft. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Uncover, add the couscous and mint, and stir. Reduce the heat to low. Cover again and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the pot to sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover and, using tongs or a big fork, fluff everything in the pot. Put the lid back on and let sit for another 3 minutes before serving.