Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Posted for ZWT6.
Make and share this Morrocan Chicken With Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yams or 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- generous pinch saffron thread
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup couscous
- 1⁄4 cup minced of fresh mint
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, paprika, salt (optional), and pepper. Add the chicken and mix so that all sides are well covered.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the chicken in batches and cook, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato or yam, onion, garlic, bay leaf, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, saffron, raisins, dried apricots, and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender and the potatoes are very soft. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Uncover, add the couscous and mint, and stir. Reduce the heat to low. Cover again and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the pot to sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover and, using tongs or a big fork, fluff everything in the pot. Put the lid back on and let sit for another 3 minutes before serving.
This recipe should get 10 stars! My favorite recipe of ZWT6 so far. I ended up using 2 cups of couscous since I had so much liquid left and decided I would rather have more couscous than to boil off some of the liquid. The house smelled heavenly as this cooked and the balance of flavors was just perfect. I will save this as one of my favorite recipes. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT6.
This was very good and my first attempt at a Morrocan dish. Husby thought it was "okay" but my two dinner guests raved about the complex flavors. I used a little extra chicken stock (4 cups) so that I could use the whole box of stock and used just a little (1/4 cup) extra couscous and it was very good. Be careful not to use too much couscous as it will soak up all the sauce and be dry. Also use new dried spices as it will add to the flavor! YUM