Dunno where Morrison's Cafeteria is but this makes some mighty nice fried shrimp. Adapted from the Miami Herald. I like to use my deep fat fryer outside on the deck - all the crunchy shrimpy goodness outside & no greasy kitchen cleanup! Shrimp are coming in here fast & furious for a while longer - this is a great way to use them.
- 2 lbs shrimp, cleaned and tails left on (about 3 dozen medium to large)
- peanut oil (for deep frying)
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 cups cold water
- Blot shrimp dry with paper towels and set aside. Heat several inches of oil to 350 degrees in a deep, heavy pot or deep fryer.
- Combine the dredging mixture in a shallow dish.
- Meanwhile, whisk the baking powder, salt and paprika into the flour. Whisk in the egg and water, blending well.
- Hold shrimp by the tail, dredge, dip in batter and slip into hot oil. Fry a few at a time just until batter is golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.