Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A simple dish, healthy and satisfying.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped (capsicum)
- 2 -4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 3 cups black beans (cooked, or canned and drained)
- 1 cup chopped canned tomato
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- cooked white rice
- chopped fresh parsley (coriander leaves) or cilantro (to garnish, coriander leaves)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over moderate heat and saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic until tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, stock, salt, pepper, and optional cayenne and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve over rice and garnish with fresh herbs.
Delicious! I added some chopped celery and zucchini, 1 bay leaf, cumin and chili powder. I topped it off with a bit of shredded monterey jack, sour cream and cilantro. Yum! Thank you.
I loved the taste as well as the simplicity of this dish. It went very well with chicken fajitas.
I have made this several times and loved it! Very tasty. I opted to omit the cayenne and garnished with parsley. Also, instead of white rice, I used brown and found the dish very filling~I even shared with a picky co- worker and he gave it a thumbs up. Thanks for sharing this recipe.