Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I tried this rice salad at a potluck and was one of the scores of people asking for the recipe. I don't know where my coworker got this one, but it's got a nice flavor that makes it a great side dish for grilled meats or alone as a vegetarian dish. Sometimes I make this salad and simply serve it with sliced tomatoes. My husband likes to take leftover rice salad and add some grilled chicken to it for a rice bowl at work.
- 2 cups canned black beans, rinsed
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- In medium bowl combine beans, rice, and cilantro.
- Place lime juice in small bowl and whisk with oil.
- Add onion and garlic to oil.
- Toss with beans and rice mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
I thought it was great, but it was a little overpowering for another one of us in my home. Luckily, it does sound like olive oil in dishes freezes well (or so I've read), so I'll be tucking some away for myself for later. Next time, I do think I'd use a bit less cilantro. Update: Yes, it does freeze, and it is incredibly delicious warm. Update again: I keep making this and freezing it to have hot or cold, and I crave it when I think about it in the freezer now. Visiting friends gave the thumbs up, too, so 5 stars it is.