Recipe by Rhiannon and Matt
Chef Hassan M'Souli is the owner of Out of Africa restaurant in Manly, in Sydney, Australia and the author of Moroccan Modern, from which this eggplant recipe is taken.
- 4 eggplants (aubergines)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 preserved lemon, sliced
- 12 green olives
- bread, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (400ºF/Gas 6).
- Cut the eggplants in half, then score deeply into large cubes (do not slice through the skin).
- Brush the cut surfaces with half the olive oil and place on an oven tray and bake for 10-15 minutes until cooked, then remove from the oven and cut into large cubes.
- Make a small cut in the skin of the tomatoes, plunge into boiling water. Drain, then when cool enough to handle remove the skin and seeds and dice the flesh.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan, fry the garlic briefly then add the tomatoes, paprika, cumin, pepper and eggplant.
- Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vinegar, coriander, half the sliced preserved lemon and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let stand for a few minutes (should be served warm - not hot), garnish with olives and remaining sliced preserved lemon.
- Serve with bread.