Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I changed a few items from a "Cooking Light" recipe. It turned out a little less salty than I'm used to and a little lacking in body, but can be easily fixed by adding salt to my bowl and chunking up some mixed-grain hearty bread and mixing it in!
- 453.59 g great northern bean, soaked for 24 hours
- 473.18 ml chopped onions, yellow and red
- 414.03 ml chopped celery
- 314.66 ml chopped carrots
- 29.58 ml minced fresh garlic cloves
- 19.71 ml ground cumin
- 19.71 ml paprika
- 9.85 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground turmeric
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes
- 709.77 ml water
- 118.32 ml tomato paste
- 828.06 ml chopped fresh garden paste and eating tomatoes
- 946.36 ml water
- 59.14 ml chicken bouillon granule
- 4.92 ml salt
- 59.16 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- In a non-stick 8-quart dutch oven pot, add onion, celery, carrot and garlic and sauté five minutes or until the vegetables are soft and translucent.
- Stir in cumin and spice ingredients (through red pepper); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomato paste and mix it inches
- Quickly add the 3 cups water, the fresh diced tomatoes, and finally your soaked and drained bag of great northern beans.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until the beans are fork tender (or to your likeness)and the water has reduced to a nice stew-like texture.
- Taste. Stir in the bouillon granules, salt-to-taste, and lemon juice.
- Taste. Take off the heat and stir in the cilantro. Serve over chunked up hearty mixed-grain bread or as-is.