Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I changed a few items from a "Cooking Light" recipe. It turned out a little less salty than I'm used to and a little lacking in body, but can be easily fixed by adding salt to my bowl and chunking up some mixed-grain hearty bread and mixing it in!
- 1 lb great northern bean, soaked for 24 hours
- 2 cups chopped onions, yellow and red
- 1 3⁄4 cups chopped celery
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic cloves
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups water
- 8 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh garden paste and eating tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup chicken bouillon granule
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a non-stick 8-quart dutch oven pot, add onion, celery, carrot and garlic and sauté five minutes or until the vegetables are soft and translucent.
- Stir in cumin and spice ingredients (through red pepper); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomato paste and mix it inches
- Quickly add the 3 cups water, the fresh diced tomatoes, and finally your soaked and drained bag of great northern beans.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until the beans are fork tender (or to your likeness)and the water has reduced to a nice stew-like texture.
- Taste. Stir in the bouillon granules, salt-to-taste, and lemon juice.
- Taste. Take off the heat and stir in the cilantro. Serve over chunked up hearty mixed-grain bread or as-is.