Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Lots of vegetables cooked with chick peas, raisins, and fragrant spices, and spooned over couscous make an authentic Moroccan meal.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup carrot, sliced crosswise
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut inch 1/4 inch cubes
- 3 tomatoes, ripe, large, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, bell pepper, spices, and 1/4 cup of the water.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer over medium low heat, 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir several times during cooking.
- Serve over couscous, rice or any cooked grain.