Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Lots of vegetables cooked with chick peas, raisins, and fragrant spices, and spooned over couscous make an authentic Moroccan meal.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup carrot, sliced crosswise
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut inch 1/4 inch cubes
- 3 tomatoes, ripe, large, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, bell pepper, spices, and 1/4 cup of the water.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer over medium low heat, 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir several times during cooking.
- Serve over couscous, rice or any cooked grain.