Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes with a chili sauce and vegetables. The vegetable directions start at the carrots. There are also suggestions to use with chicken or fish.
- 1 teaspoon ghee oil (or olive oil)
- 1 cup leek, chopped (or onions)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos (or tamai)
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock (or tomato juice)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 cups fresh spinach, washed and torn into pieces
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the leeks, garlic, oregano, black pepper, curry powder, allspice, and aminos and sauté over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper, celery and tomatoes and continue to sauté for 2 or 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the stock and simmer, covered for up to 1/2 hour.
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the carrots and cauliflower and blanch for 2 minutes, or lightly steam in a steamer. Drain the vegetables and set aside. In the same large pot, heat the vegetable stock and the zucchini, and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the carrots and cauliflower, the spinach, and the chili sauce. Heat just to the boiling point, add the broccoli, and stir. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the broccoli. Garnish with toasted pine nuts, freshly chopped dill, and feta cheese. Serve over pasta, couscous, grains, or as a side dish stew.
- Variation: Bake four 4-ounce boneless chicken breasts or four 4-ounce freshwater bass fillets in the sauce and serve vegetables on the side.