Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Very simple despite the long list of ingredients. It's very adaptable Courgettes, green beans and tomatoes could all be used.
- 2 carrots, in chunky cubes
- 2 parsnips, in chunky cubes core removed
- 450 g butternut squash, in chunky cubes
- 1⁄2 onion, divided into leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 200 g couscous
- 125 g dried figs, halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 5 coriander leaves (to garnish, to taste)
- Fry all the veg in the oil for 5 minutes over a moderate heat. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Dissolve stock cube in 350ml boiling water. Pour over cous cous and cover leave to stand.
- Add the spices, figs, seasoning and 150ml boiling water to the vegetables. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir coriander leaves through cous cous and serve with the vegetables.
Easy and tasty. I left out the squash (didn't have any), added some chickpeas for protein, and substituted chopped dried apricots for figs. It came out with a nice flavor and was surprisingly sweet. I might add more spices next time. @Chef floWer and others who are confused about the instructions: You should prepare the cous cous separately from the vegetables. Put the dry cous cous in a bowl. Pour the water over it. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Drain excess liquid and fluff the cous cous with a fork. I think Pink Cherry Blossom lists this as Step 2 just so that you have something to do while the veggies are cooking. You can mix the veggies into the cous cous before serving or serve them in separate bowls, as you would rice and stir fried veggies.
I'm only leaving a comment for this recipe due to vague instructions. I was not sure with step 2 if I should use a different pan or bowl for the cous cous and vegetable stock mixture. Then in Step 2 didn't tell us how long to cover cous cous before we did step 3 instructions. Then when it said serve with stew I wasn't sure what it meant by stew. What I did was I added liquid vegetable stock and cous cous with the sauteed vegetables. Mixed the ingredients gentle, covered then waited for 2 minutes before added spice, figs & more liquid vegetable stock. Overall the taste was ok not great but ok, Hubby (DH) said it was wonderful but he was just trying to encourage me. Sorry Pink Cherry Blossom :(