Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 51 mins
A delicious and easy to make vegetarian dish that can be cooked in any casserole pot or saucepan (if you don't own a tagine).
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 ml ground aniseed
- 2 green cardamom pods, bruised by lightly rolling with a rolling pin
- 1⁄2 red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 120ml hot water
- 1 (450 g) can tomatoes
- 60 g pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 150 g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small raw carrot, diced
- 90 g canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 1 small courgette, diced
- 30 g dates, chopped
- 30 g dried apricots, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large lidded non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Reduce the heat and add the aniseed, cardamom and chili and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the hot stock, tomatoes, pumpkin, potato, carrot, chickpeas and cinnamon and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the courgette, dates and apricots to the saucepan, plus a little water if needed. Replace the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the fruit has absorbed the liquid.
- Serve with couscous.