Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Low fat, simple and very tasty. This is a great way to get back on track after the Holidays but it's great at any time of the year! Save time by purchasing the squash already cut into cubes.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 & # 8243, thick
- 680.38 g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 425.24 g can garbanzo beans, drained
- 396.89 g can stewed tomatoes
- 118.29 ml pitted prune, chopped
- 2.46 ml cinnamon (more if you like)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.59 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 236.59 ml couscous
- 236.59 ml vegetable broth
- 29.58 ml chopped cilantro or 29.58 ml parsley
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add carrots, squash, and onion and cook until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garbanzo beans, stewed tomatoes, prunes, cinnamon, salt, crushed red pepper, and 1 and 1/2 cups water.
- Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous as label directs, but use vegetable broth in place of the water called for on label.
- Stir cilantro into stew.
- Spoon stew over couscous to serve.
Yummy, but DH didn't like the cinnamon. I made it without the extra water and served as a side dish. Also didn't have prunes so used raisins. Made for February Sun and Spice 2013.
I had some butternut squash that I needed to use up so I decided to give this a try. I REALLY enjoyed it. It was a little sweet but not too much. Even my 3 and 4 year olds ate it willingly. I used a tomato basil couscous that had on hand. At the end I forgot the cilantro but thought it was really good without it. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly and will be making this FOR SURE again. It was a great vegetarian meal.
I really like this one. I will make it again. Only changes: used chicken broth with vegetables instead of water and couldn't resist adding some minced garlic. Also, I subbed dried fig for the prunes. I served over a package of Near East Mediterranean Couscous. It took longer than 30 minutes to cook, so I ended up covering it to speed it up. Thanks for a great, healthy meal.