Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Chorba al-Khadra bil Djej wa Roz is a tasty, satisfying soup made by simmering carrots, zucchini and onions with chicken, rice and Moroccan spices and herbs. Serve it as a starter or as a light supper.
- 150 g cooked chicken or 5 ounces cooked chicken, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onions or 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped (set aside)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 -2 celery rib, with leaves diced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 3 saffron threads, crushed for garnish (optional)
- In a 3 quart pot, saute the onions and garlic in the butter over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the zucchini, and bring the soup to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, cover, and continue simmering for another 10 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender and the rice is cooked. Taste, adjust the seasoning if desired, and serve.