Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Chorba al-Khadra bil Djej wa Roz is a tasty, satisfying soup made by simmering carrots, zucchini and onions with chicken, rice and Moroccan spices and herbs. Serve it as a starter or as a light supper.
- 150 g cooked chicken or 5 ounces cooked chicken, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onions or 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped (set aside)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 -2 celery rib, with leaves diced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 3 saffron threads, crushed for garnish (optional)
- In a 3 quart pot, saute the onions and garlic in the butter over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the zucchini, and bring the soup to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, cover, and continue simmering for another 10 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender and the rice is cooked. Taste, adjust the seasoning if desired, and serve.
Made this today only using leftover turkey (instead of chicken) and cutting the recipe in half. I also used all turkey broth and delicious! It was a little different for DH with the cinnamon (which I cut back a little on for him) but we both totally enjoyed this and will be making this again. Made for the of Pammyowl Cook-a-thon.