1/1 Photo of Moroccan Vegetable Soup (Chorba)
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
From Eating Well magazine, October 2008..."Chorba is Morocco's answer to minestrone. It's hearty with chunks of beef or lamb, plenty of vegetables and a bit of pasta. Turmeric gives the broth a rich, golden-orange color."
My Private Note
2 cup s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 lb beef stew meat (such as chuck) or 1 lb lamb stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1/2 thick cubes (shoulder or leg)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth or 6 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 small turnips, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, leaves included, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 12 sprigs flat leaf parsley, plus more leaves for garnish
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro, plus more leaves for garnish
- 1 large zucchini, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 ounces angel hair pasta (capellini, broken into small pieces, about 1/2 cup) or 2 ounces orzo pasta, preferably whole-wheat
- 1 -2 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 2Add onion and turmeric; stir to coat.
- 3Add meat and cook. stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 4Add broth (or water), tomatoes and their juice, turnips, carrots, celery and saffron.
- 5Tie parsley and cilantro sprigs together with kitchen string and add to the pot.
- 6Bring the soup to a boil.
- 7Cover and reduce to a simmer.
- 8Cook until the meat is tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
- 9Stir in zucchini and cook, covered, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 10Add pasta and cook until soft, 4 to 10 minutes, depending on the type of pasta.
- 11Discard the parsley and cilantro sprigs. Season with salt (start with 1 teaspoon if you're using beef broth; add more if you're using water) and pepper.
- 12Serve sprinkled with parsley and/or cilantro leaves, if desired.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Vegetable Soup (Chorba)
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.3
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 48.3 mg
- Sodium 495.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 19.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium beef broth