Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Give everyday rice a color and flavor boost with intensely yellow, earthy turmeric (sometimes called "poor man's saffon").
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (use more if you wish)
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped (use more if you wish)
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked rice, preferably brown
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups broth or 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- * Heat olive oil in a skillet or saucepan with a lid. Add onion, pepper and tomato, if using. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- * Add rice and stir to mix well; cook for another minute or two. Add liquid, salt and turmeric. Cover, adjust heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (about 40 minutes for brown, 20 minutes for white). If the rice isn't tender when the liquid has been absorbed, add a little more liquid and continue simmering for a few minutes.
- * Sprinkle with parsley, if using, and serve warm.
This was a nice change from our ordinary side dishes. It was tasty but not overpowering and went over well with the entire family. Will be makeing this more often. Thank you!!!!!