1/1 Photo of Moroccan Tuna Briouats (Stuffed Pastries)
These pastry triangles are filled with sweet or savory fillings & deep-fried, traditionally (or the may be baked in the oven). This version is made with tuna & is my husband's favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 egg roll wraps, roughly 7x7 inches or
- 20 -24 spring roll wrappers, roughly 3x9 inches
- 1 (6 -7 ounce) canned tuna in water, good quality (or tuna in a pouch)
- 2 small potatoes, peeled & diced (or 1 can of diced potatoes)
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1/3 cup black olives, pitted & chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon water
- canola oil or peanut oil
- 1Note: I use Samosa spring roll pastry sheets which are 3x9 inches. If you are using egg roll wrappers that are 7x7 inches they need to be cut in half so they measure 3.5x7.
- 2Set out the frozen spring roll pastry so it can thaw (around 30 minutes).
- 3If using raw potatoes, peel & dice them, then boil them until just tender. Set aside to be used later. If using canned diced potatoes drain the water & set aside to be used later.
- 4Drain the water from the tuna & place in a medium bowl. Chopped the parsley & cilantro together then add it to the tuna.
- 5Mix the onions, olives, harissa, & spices together then add to the tuna. Add the olive oil to the tuna & stir until all the ingredients are well blended. Lastly, add the potatoes & carefully stir in so they do not break apart.
- 6Note: Keep the wrappers under a damp towel so they do not dry out.
- 7Put 2 tablespoons of the filling at the top of a pastry strip. Fold over into a triangle, then fold over again & again.
- 8Lightly brush the end of the pastry strip with egg yolk & fold closed. (The egg yolk helps hold the strip together). Repeat the last 2 steps until all the filling is gone.
- 9Heat the oil (canola or peanut) in a medium pan. Once hot add about 5 triangles to the oil. Fry until golden brown, turning once. Repeat until all the triangles are cooked.
- 10Variation: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees & bake for 20-30 minutes. The pastries should be puffed & golden brown on both sides.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Tuna Briouats (Stuffed Pastries)
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.1
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 78.1 mg
- Sodium 1342.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 26.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: