Recipe by Nif
In Morocco, tajines, or stews, are made in shallow earthenware cooking pots called tajines. In this version, you use a Crock-Pot to produce a mellow yet intensely flavoured meat-and-vegetable mixture with a tender texture and enticing aroma. So, let it simmer away while you’re at work or play. See below for fun additions. From Chatelaine Magazine. Enjoy!
Top Review by sheepdoc
This was great - very flavorful. I used sweet potato rather than squash and also added some sliced celery - otherwise made as written. Crockpot on low for 7 hrs. DH was not a fan of the olives, but DS and I loved them. Made too late to count for ZWT 9!
- 3 lbs frozen stewing lamb or 3 lbs lamb shoulder or 3 lbs stew beef chunks or 8 skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes or 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups carrots, cut into small chunks
- 3 cups squash or 3 cups potatoes, peeled cut into large chunks
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup green olives, pitted (optional)
- 19 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw lamb if using.Trim excess fat from lamb or beef, then cut into large bite-size pieces. If using chicken thighs, leave whole. Mince garlic and thinly slice onions. In a crock pot or other slow cooker, stir garlic with onions, cumin, paprika, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt, chili flakes, carrots, squash, broth and olives, if using. Add meat.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 5 hours or on low for 9 to 10 hours. Stir in chickpeas, if using, during last 15 minutes of cooking. Serve over couscous or with crusty bread. Covered and refrigerated, tajine will keep for at least 2 days and can be frozen in an airtight container or resealable freezer bags.
- ~ Lively additions ~.
- Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas during last 15 minutes of cooking. Stir in sliced green onions, chopped coriander, parsley, basil or chives. Add a little freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice for zip. For a snazzy touch, pour 1/4 cup (50 mL) heated dry sherry over 1/2 cup (125 mL) golden raisins. Let stand for at least 15 minutes or overnight. Stir into finished tajine.