Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
In Morocco, tajines, or stews, are made in shallow earthenware cooking pots called tajines. In this version, you use a Crock-Pot to produce a mellow yet intensely flavoured meat-and-vegetable mixture with a tender texture and enticing aroma. So, let it simmer away while you’re at work or play. See below for fun additions. From Chatelaine Magazine. Enjoy!
- 3 lbs frozen stewing lamb or 3 lbs lamb shoulder or 3 lbs stew beef chunks or 8 skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes or 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups carrots, cut into small chunks
- 3 cups squash or 3 cups potatoes, peeled cut into large chunks
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup green olives, pitted (optional)
- 19 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed (optional)
- Thaw lamb if using.Trim excess fat from lamb or beef, then cut into large bite-size pieces. If using chicken thighs, leave whole. Mince garlic and thinly slice onions. In a crock pot or other slow cooker, stir garlic with onions, cumin, paprika, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt, chili flakes, carrots, squash, broth and olives, if using. Add meat.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 5 hours or on low for 9 to 10 hours. Stir in chickpeas, if using, during last 15 minutes of cooking. Serve over couscous or with crusty bread. Covered and refrigerated, tajine will keep for at least 2 days and can be frozen in an airtight container or resealable freezer bags.
- ~ Lively additions ~.
- Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas during last 15 minutes of cooking. Stir in sliced green onions, chopped coriander, parsley, basil or chives. Add a little freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice for zip. For a snazzy touch, pour 1/4 cup (50 mL) heated dry sherry over 1/2 cup (125 mL) golden raisins. Let stand for at least 15 minutes or overnight. Stir into finished tajine.
This was great - very flavorful. I used sweet potato rather than squash and also added some sliced celery - otherwise made as written. Crockpot on low for 7 hrs. DH was not a fan of the olives, but DS and I loved them. Made too late to count for ZWT 9!