Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you like a little 'spice' in your life than you are going to enjoy this one! You can also substitute the couscous with brown or white rice--either way it makes an awesome meal!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (I prefer using fresh)
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1⁄2 kg vegetables, peeled and cut into large chunks (carrot, eggplant, orange sweet potato, parsnip, potato, pumpkin)
- 1⁄2 preserved lemon, rinsed, pith and flesh removed, thinly sliced
- 1 (400 g) canof peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 100 g dried pear halves, halved
- 60 g pitted prunes
- 2 zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 300 g instant couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (a.k.a Italian parsley)
- 1⁄3 cup almonds
- Preheat the oven to moderate 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or ovenproof dish, add the onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the spices and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and cook, stirring, until coated with the spices and the outside begins to soften.
- Add the lemon, tomatoes, stock, pears and prunes.
- Cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Cover the couscous with the olive oil and 2 cups (500mL) boiling water and leave until all the water has been absorbed.
- Flake with a fork.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the vegetables, then stir in the parsley.
- Serve on a large platter with the couscous formed into a ring and the vegetable tagine in the centre, sprinkled with almonds.