Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Posted for ZWT 2006 Recipe from Saveur.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless lamb shoulder, cubed
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot, peeled, halved crosswise, and quartered
- 1 large zucchini, halved crosswise and quartered
- 2 small turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium green pepper, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1 '' strips
- 1 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Heat 2 tbls oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot or tagine (a Moroccan cooking vessel) over high heat.
- Add lamb in batches and brown on all sides, stirring frequently.
- Set aside.
- In same pot, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-low heat, add onions, cook for 15 minutes, then add cumin, cinnamon, paprika, and saffron and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir, mixing well, and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes more.
- Return meat to pot and mix well.
- Form mixture into a mound in center of pot.
- Arrange potato quarters around meat, pressing angled sides into mound.
- Arrange carrots and zucchini the same way.
- Arrange turnip quarters and green pepper strips alternately around mound.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, over medium-low heat, basting occasionally with liquid from bottom of pot, until vegetables are cooked, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Arrange tomatoes atop meat, cook, covered, for 5 minutes more, and serve.