1/1 Photo of Moroccan Tagine
Sassy Syrah's Note:
This is a real comfort dish, don't be put off by the sweet and savoury combination, it works really well. If you have a tagine, you could use it for the recipe, I however do not. Serve over couscous.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced 1/2 cm cubes
- 1 cup carrot, sliced 1/2 cm thick
- 1 large red capsicums (also known as a bell pepper) or 1 large green capsicum, cut into strips (also known as a bell pepper)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 1/2 cup raisins (I have substituted sultanas)
- 1 (400 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I understand these are called garbanzo beans in other places)
- 1/2 cup dried apricot (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and garlic, stirring for a few minutes until onion is translucent.
- 3Add chicken and lightly colour, stirring. Remove from pan.
- 4Add carrots, capsicum, and spices.
- 5Stir dry to toast.
- 6Once a nice aroma comes from the pan, add 1/2 cup of water.
- 7Cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- 8Add remaining ingredients.
- 9Cover and simmer over a medium heat for 30 minutes until veggies are tender.
- 10Stir frequently during cooking, to prevent catching on the bottom.
- 11You may need to add additional water.
- 12Serve with couscous.
- 13NB: You only need to salt your eggplant if there are lots of black seeds when you cut it open.
- 14Make sure you rinse the excess salt off and dry well in that case.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Tagine
Serving Size: 1 (548 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.7
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 34.2 mg
- Sodium 512.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 20.4 g
- Protein 22.1 g