Recipe by lindseylcw
An easy, velvety soup with complex delicious spice tastes, would make a wonderful start to a dinner party or a great lunch. Got this off the web ages ago and can't remember the name of the site. May need more lemon juice if the potatoes and carrots are really sweet so taste at the end, and I used more spices as I like a deeper flavour.
Top Review by SpareTimeChef
Delicious soup. I had no idea about grams, so I improvised, used 1-1/2 sw. potato, and about 3 to 4 huge farmer's market carrots. I also used 4 garlic cloves, and after the soup had simmered awhile I added some more coriander, cumin, and a bit of allspice. I also bended 1/2 the soup and left the other 1/2 with the veggies/beans in tact. Will def. make again. Served it with Garlic Naan bread. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 600 g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 500 g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 300 g chickpeas
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in spices and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- add sweet potato and carrot and sweat well for 10 minutes.
- add stock and cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chick peas and simmer for further 10 mins until chick peas are tender.
- Blend until smooth, season well with salt and fresh black pepper and add lemon juice to taste.