Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Vegetarian Quick and Easy. This combination of nuts, dried fruits and fresh fruits is hard to resist. If the margarine option is used this recipe is vegan.
- 1⁄2 lb couscous
- 1 1⁄4 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 12 dates, stoned and chopped
- 12 almonds, whole
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed nuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins, currants or 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place couscous in a bowl and pour in the hot water, stirring as you do (or prepare according package instructions) and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine nuts (except whole almonds), dried fruit, sugar and orange juice.
- Set couscous in a sieve above a saucepan of boiling water and steam it for 10 minutes.
- Rub in melted butter or margarine and then continue to steam for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, mix nut and dried fruit mixture into the couscous and turn it out onto a serving dish.
- Decorate with whole almonds and sprinkle with powdered sugar and cinnamon to serve.
I used Israeli couscous, also known as pearl couscous instead of standard. One and a half cups of mixed nuts sounded excessive considering there were almonds on the ingredient's list, too. I reduced the amount of nuts to 1/2 cup and that to me was a better balance. Went well with a semi-spicy main dish. Thanks for posting! Reviewed for Veg Tag/May.
I absolutely loved this dish, it's probably one of the best couscous recipes I have made, thank you for sharing this recipe! this was chosen and made this for Kittencalskitchen forum Veggie tag event game
ok 1/2 cup nuts for me also, great breakfast disk,boil everything but couscous ,put on cover ,done no extra sugar needed for me .try this zwt9