Recipe by DailyInspiration
Haven't tried this yet, but it sounds very healthy and delicious. The recipe calls for dry chickpeas, but I prefer to short cut and use canned. This recipe is from my "Backyard BBQ Bible" cookbook.
- 2⁄3 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄3 cup natural Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (plus 1 additional tablespoon)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain, rinse, and mash chickpeas very well. Melt butter in a heavy-based skillet; add the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, chili powder and carrots. Cook, covered, over low heat for 5 minutes, turning the carrots to coat them in the spices. Drizzle with honey. If the carrots start to stick, add 1 tablespoons water. Cover and cook for 20 minutes until the carrots are very tender and a caramel brown color. Cool slightly and mash in the skillet to include all the bits on the base of the pan.
- Combine the mashed chickpeas and carrots with the yogurt, parsley and olive oil, and season well with salt and pepper. Spoon into a serving bowl and drizzle with extra oil. Serve with celery sticks, blanched green beans or veggies of your choice. Can serve with pita chips as well.