Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This stew can also be made successfully in a crockpot on low for about 8 hours. Adjust all spices to taste. To make this into a vegetarian dish use vegetable broth. This is a hearty full-flavored dish rich in nuts and spices and sweetened with currants.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 5 cups chicken broth (or use vegetable broth)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced into about 1/2-inch
- 3 cups eggplants, diced
- 3 cups zucchini, sliced into about 1/2-inch
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup currants
- 1 1⁄4 cups toasted almonds, chopped (more for topping)
- salt and black pepper
- In a Dutch oven melt butter with oil over medium heat; add in the onions, cayenne, coriander, cumin and pinch cinnamon; cook stirring for about 5 minutes, add in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Add in broth, carrots, eggplant, zucchini, cauliflower and stewed tomatoes with juice, garbonzo beans, currants and almonds; stir and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 1 hour or until the veggies are tender to the bite (this might take more or less than 2 hours).
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Transfer about 3 cups of the mixture into a food processor and process until smooth (this can also be done carefully on a blender holding the lid down with a towel).
- Return the puree back to the pot; stir to combine.
- Ladle into bowls, then sprinkle with more almonds if desired.