Recipe by Abba Gimel
We had this for our main meal last night. I rather heavily adapted it from a few others as I like meat & my wife and son like pasta & as we are trying to eat healthier I am trying to find new ways to use turkey meat instead of beef.
Top Review by mikec.
This is a great recipe. It's easy and delicious. My family loved it. To add more of a Moroccan flavor to it, I baked it in a tagine for 40 minutes at 350F. To keep it from getting dry while baking, I also added a small can of tomato sauce.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour (to coat)
- 300 g spaghetti (11 ounces)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, cubed
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, cubed
- 1⁄2 red pepper, cubed
- 28 ounces chopped tomatoes, from a can
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 ounces chickpeas, from a can, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix parsley, onion, spices, bread crumbs & egg with the ground turkey. Make sure it is well mixed so that the spices are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Fork out 20 one inch balls.
- Roll the balls into the flour until coated.
- Pour enough oil to just cover the bottom of the frying pan, heat on medium heat.
- Place the balls into the heated oil. Turn frequently so they do not burn on the sides. Cook until they are done all the way through.
- Place off to the side.
- Put spaghetti in a large pot of boiling water and cook as long as the packet suggests. Mine takes 7-9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain oil from the frying pan.
- Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms and saute until they start to get soft which was about 5 minutes for me.
- Add the tomatoes, peppers, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric and black pepper and lightly simmer for about 8 minutes stirring frequently.
- Stir in the chickpeas and heat just long enough to cook through, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh herbs and just mix through until they start to wilt.
- Add in cooked spaghetti and stir to make sure all of the pasta is coated in the sauce.
- Add in cooked meatballs and stir to make sure all of them are coated in the sauce.