Happy Hippie's Note:
This sounds like a very interesting recipe. Found on the Allrecipes.com website. It was submitted by Truckerdoo. Here's his introduction. "Vegetables, garbanzos, raisins and couscous in a lovely Moroccan broth taste delicious inside butter and brown sugar-brushed acorn squash. You can experiment with different vegetables, or add diced chicken. Feel free to be creative with your amounts - I usually freestyle and end up with leftover stuffing mixture, which tastes great on its own the next day. For vegetarians, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml butter, melted
- 2 large acorn squash (halved and seeded)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 236.59 ml garbanzo beans, drained
- 118.29 ml raisins
- 22.18 ml ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 396.89 g chicken broth
- 236.59 ml couscous, uncooked
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2Arrange squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet.
- 3Bake 30 minutes, or until tender.
- 4Dissolve the sugar in the melted butter. Brush squash with the butter mixture, and keep squash warm while preparing the stuffing.
- 5Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- 6Stir in the garlic, celery, and carrots, and cook 5 minutes.
- 7Mix in the garbanzo beans and raisins. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper.
- 8continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
- 9Pour the chicken broth into the skillet, and mix in the couscous.
- 10Cover skillet, and turn off heat.
- 11Allow couscous to absorb liquid for 5 minutes.
- 12Stuff squash halves with the skillet mixture to serve.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.2
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 587.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 19.6 g
- Protein 13.8 g