Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found this recipe today at Whole Foods and thought it sounded intriguing. I made one change subbing 1 large onion for 2 leeks. I usually make pea soup with ham but this sounds delicious!
- 2 cups split peas
- 3 quarts water or 3 quarts chicken broth
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Combine peas and water in a large pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 2-3 hours or until peas are soft and the soup thickens.
This appears to be an adaptation of B'sarra a Moroccan breakfast soup. It is usually served with a splash of olive oil on top and a pinch of cumin. Increase all the spices except paprika and drop in two thick slices of lemon while cooking. Remove lemon before blending or serving.
This is my new split pea soup favorite. As suggested by earlier reviewers, I more than doubled the spices (except for Paprika), put 2t salt , 1/3 lemon in with the rest of the ingredients and used turkey broth as the base. Absolutely tasty and different.
Thanks so much for this great recipe. Made it for my daughter-in-Law who is fairly picky and she R A V E D about it. Sue21 Spain