Recipe by **Jubes**
A Middle Eastern themed dish. Can accompany lamb, fish or chicken- basically anywhere as a substitute for cous cous. Quinoa is gluten free. Serves 4 as a side dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups quinoa
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- lime wedge, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil, sauté the onion for 2 - 3 minutes, until it's transparent. Add the garlic and spices and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly, using a strainer. Add the quinoa to the pan with the onion and lime zest, stir.
- Measure the water and lime juice in a jug to make 2 cups of liqud.
- Add the water to the pan and gently bring it to the boil,continue to stir.Once boiled, cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the water has completely absorbed into the quinoa.
- Add add the almonds, currants and coriander.
- Garnish with lime wedges and serve.