Recipe by Annacia
Typical of the street food in the grand plaza of Marrakesh.
Top Review by duonyte
I really liked this, a bit of a mixed review by the non-adventurous one. I followed the recipe pretty closely, except that I briefly toasted some already ground cumin in a dry skillet. I found it very tasty. i had eyeballed the ingredients a bit, so I had some of the filling left over - it made a nice side for my lunch.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 lb colored bell pepper, cut into 2- by 1/4-inch strips
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise, then cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3⁄4 lb boiling potato, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Portuguese rolls (about 4 inches in diameter) or 4 kaiser rolls (about 4 inches in diameter)
- extra virgin olive oil
- harissa (spicy North African condiment) (optional) or cayenne (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover eggs with cold water by 1 1/2 inches in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan and bring to a rolling boil, partially covered.
- Reduce heat to low and cook eggs, covered, 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and let eggs stand in hot water, covered, 15 minutes. Rinse eggs under cold water 5 minutes to stop cooking.
- Peel eggs and quarter lengthwise.
- Meanwhile, toast cumin seeds in a dry 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant and a few shades darker, about 4 minutes. Grind them to a powder in grinder.
- Transfer to a small serving bowl.
- Cook peppers, onion, potatoes, salt, and pepper in oil in same skillet over moderate heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are browned and very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut off an end of each roll and pull out some of bread from center to form a wide deep pocket in each roll.
- Put 2 egg quarters in bottom of each pocket and fill with vegetable mixture. Top filling in each sandwich with 2 of remaining egg quarters and sprinkle with some of cumin.
- Serve sandwiches with remaining cumin and oil and harissa for seasoning.