Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
This one is from Gourmet May, 2006. "Chickpeas transform saucy mussels into a meal that's as hearty as it is seductive." I have not made this one yet, so times are an estimate.
Top Review by WeBees
I love mussels and I love them in tomatoe sauces. This was fabulous with the chickpeas and the wonderful spices that hold up to the strong flavor of the mussels. It's a great meal with rice or some naan or flatbread to sop up the juices.
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika (preferably hot)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice, juice reserved and tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 3 lbs mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion, garlic, and spices in the olive oil in a 6-quart heavy pot over medium low heat. Stir until onion is softened, about 6 minute.
- Stir in the vinegar and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas, sugar, and tomatoes with their juice.
- Increase the heat to medium and gently simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, about 15 minute.
- Add the mussels and return to a simmer.
- Cover tightly with lid and cook until mussels just open wide, about 3-6 minute Discard any mussels that remain unopened after 6 min.).
- Stir in parsley and serve in shallow bowls.