Moroccan-Style Lentil and Chickpea Soup
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, and garlic, cover, and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, and cardamom, stirring to coat the vegetables.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, add the lentils, tomatoes, chickpeas, and stock, cover, and cook on Low for 8 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, add the lemon juice and harissa and season with salt and pepper.
- A small bowl of harissa may be placed I on the table for those who wish to add more.