Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker - Robin Robertson.
Make and share this Moroccan-Style Lentil and Chickpea Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup dried lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups slow-cooked chickpeas (or one 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon harissa, to taste plus more to serve
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, and garlic, cover, and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, and cardamom, stirring to coat the vegetables.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, add the lentils, tomatoes, chickpeas, and stock, cover, and cook on Low for 8 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, add the lemon juice and harissa and season with salt and pepper.
- A small bowl of harissa may be placed I on the table for those who wish to add more.