Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A Moroccan style side from Stephanie Alexander, from the book Autumn.
- 2 eggplants (approximately 800g total)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 red capsicums
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup tomato sauce or 1 cup chopped diced tomato
- juice 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped flatleaf parsley
- Slice eggplants 2cm thick. Soak in water to which you have added the tablespoon of salt. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roast capsicums until skin is charred, place in a plastic or paper bag, close tightly and leave to cool.
- Lift eggplant from water and steam the slices for 10 minutes. Drain and press lightly with a clean cloth to extract most of the liquid. Chop into 1cm dice and set aside.Roast cumin seeds until fragrant and grind to a coarse powder in a mortar and pestle.
- Remove skin and seeds from capsicums and chop into 1cm dice. Combine with eggplant.
- Heat oil in a wide frying-pan and saute the garlic for a minute until it starts to smell delicious. Tip in the eggplant mixture together with the ground cumin, salt and red pepper flakes. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring. Now add the tomato sauce and cook until thick. Taste and adjust seasoning. Dribble in the lemon juice and most of the parsley. Scoop into a flat dish to serve and decorate with the rest of the parsley.
- Serve warm or cold.