A Moroccan style side from Stephanie Alexander, from the book Autumn.
Make and share this Moroccan Style Eggplant recipe from Food.com.
- Slice eggplants 2cm thick. Soak in water to which you have added the tablespoon of salt. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roast capsicums until skin is charred, place in a plastic or paper bag, close tightly and leave to cool.
- Lift eggplant from water and steam the slices for 10 minutes. Drain and press lightly with a clean cloth to extract most of the liquid. Chop into 1cm dice and set aside.Roast cumin seeds until fragrant and grind to a coarse powder in a mortar and pestle.
- Remove skin and seeds from capsicums and chop into 1cm dice. Combine with eggplant.
- Heat oil in a wide frying-pan and saute the garlic for a minute until it starts to smell delicious. Tip in the eggplant mixture together with the ground cumin, salt and red pepper flakes. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring. Now add the tomato sauce and cook until thick. Taste and adjust seasoning. Dribble in the lemon juice and most of the parsley. Scoop into a flat dish to serve and decorate with the rest of the parsley.
- Serve warm or cold.