Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Always perfect tasting and easy to prepare. I tried several couscous recipes but was never happy with the ending result given the lack of flavor but now, I have customized my very own and I want to share it with you. Do not be intimidated by all the ingredients. I promise you it's easy! The fragrant aroma will definitely get you hungry even while cooking.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup of dried raisins
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb butternut squash, cubbed
- 2 turnips, cubbed
- 1 lb carrot, cubbed
- 1 (10 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- In 1 tbsp of oil fry your garlic.
- Add spices and raisins cooking at low temperature to avoid the raisins from burning.
- Add your chicken broth combined with the tomato paste.
- Let your sauce boil for 10 minutes and taste to see whether or not you have sufficient flavor.
- Add in chicken thighs and cook for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- The last step is to add your vegetables and chickpeas. Cook until softened but not mushy.
- Serve on a bed of couscous along with harissa sauce if you like your dish to be spicy.
Delicious! I had to omit the raisins and chickpeas as I had none on hand, but it was delicious nevertheless. Tasted the sauce for flavour before adding the chicken as you suggested and decided to add just a little soy sauce to add some saltiness and flavour. Will definitely make again - well worth it - thank you.
Sounds great. I know somebody who will absolutely love this. Thanks
I made this tonight for my family and they loved it. My 3yo son never eats his dinner but tonight he ate his and then finished off his sisters. Thanks