1/2 Photos of Moroccan-Style Chickpea Soup
I got this from the February 2005 issue of BBC Good Food and adjusted slightly for our tastes. I'm not sure how authentically Moroccan it is (when we were there we didn't come across any soups like this) but it definitely has those north-African flavours and best of all it is super healthy for you. If you don't have harissa you can use your favourite hot sauce or chili pepper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon harissa, to taste
- 600 ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (400 g) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 200 g broad beans, shelled (frozen are okay)
- 1/2 juice and lemon, zest of
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander or 4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1In a large saucepan, heat the oil and then fry the onion and celery until softened, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add in the cumin and fry for another 30 seconds.
- 3Turn up the heat and add the stock, tomatoes, chickpeas and harissa.
- 4Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 8 minutes.
- 5Throw in the broad beans and lemon juice and cook for a further 2 minutes or until the broad beans are tender.
- 6Season again and then ladle into bowls.
- 7Top with a bit of lemon zest and chopped coriander or parsley.
- 8Serve with your favourite bread.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan-Style Chickpea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.5
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 737.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of