Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Succulent chicken fillets stuffed with raisins, apple and bread crumbs, sauteed until golden, then simmered with almonds in a sweet citrus sauce with a hint of cinnamon. Serve the chicken and the delicious sauce over cous cous. Recipe adapted from Australian Women's Weekly.
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled,cored and grated
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup stale breadcrumbs
- 3 lbs chicken thigh fillets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup whole blanched almond, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup plum jam
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chicken stock
- toasted almond, extra,to garnish
- green onion, extra,to garnish
- Place thigh fillets between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound lightly with a mallet or other heavy flat object to flatten- be careful not to tear the meat.
- To toast the almonds, place them on a rimmed baking sheet and toast them in a preheated 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until they are light golden brown and fragrant.
- Combine the raisins, green onions, grated apple, ground ginger and breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- Spread each fillet with a level tablespoon of the breadcrumb mixture, roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or pot, and cook the chicken in batches until brown.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Combine the almonds, orange juice, plum jam, wine, cinnamon and stock in the same pan.
- Bring to the boil and return chicken to pan.
- Simmer, uncovered until chicken is tender, around 20 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks and garnish with extra toasted almonds and shredded green onion.
- Serve over cous cous.