1 hr 10 mins
If you love Mediterranean-style dishes, then this is one you must try. This chicken dish has amazing flavors! All ingredients can be adjusted to suit taste, and the complete recipe can be doubled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs chicken thighs (skin on or off)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- cayenne pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup golden raisin
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups canned mushrooms, whole and drained (can use fresh but cook first before adding to the stew, the canned is easier!)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- chopped fresh parsley
- cooked rice or orzo pasta
- 1Toss the chicken in a bag with the flour, salt and pepper to coat.
- 2Brown the chicken in hot oil in a skillet for about 5-7 minutes until browned, turning once, and transfer to a plate.
- 3Cook the onion in the same skillet for about 5-7 minutes.
- 4Add in garlic, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, cayenne; cook for 1 minute.
- 5Stir in tomatoes and honey.
- 6Add in the browned chicken and simmer covered for about 10-15 minutes.
- 7Stir in green peppers, raisins, mushrooms and chickpeas; simmer, stirring for about 15-20 minutes until the peppers are tender and the chicken is cooked.
- 8Serve over orzo pasta or rice.
- 9Sprinkle with toasted almonds and parsley.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan-Style Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (502 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1061.3
- Calories from Fat 517
- Total Fat 57.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 191.0 mg
- Sodium 1092.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 37.6 g
- Protein 54.7 g