Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I was watching the Food Network one day, and there were two episodes which focused on Moroccan style dishes. They both sounded really good, so over the next few months, I fused the two main recipes into one. This is really nice served with couscous, roasted acorn squash, and a creamy mint yoghurt sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken pieces, cut into 1-inch cubes (breasts or thighs)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Add first 8 ingredients to a gallon sized zip top bag. Squoosh around (yes, that is the technical term) to coat the chicken evenly.
- Heat your largest skillet over medium high heat. When it is nice and hot, add the chicken to the pan, spreading it in a single even layer.
- Brown chicken; turn and brown other side, about 4 minutes per side.
- Scoot the chicken to one side of the pan and add the onions. Saute until just carmelized.
- Add apricots and chicken stock; stir gently to combine. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer 10 minutes.
One of my favourite dishes on Zaar. I've made this a couple of times now, and it doesn't cease to disappoint. Others have stated that they like to cut down on the chilli flakes. I keep them the same, but I do like my dishes reasonably hot. I did, however, double the amount of apricots. The one thing that I do disagree with is that should only simmer for 10 minutes at step 5. I turn the heat right down and let it simmer for around 1hr - 1hr 15. The result is that the meat is beautifully soft, and full of flavour. This is definitely a recipe I'm going to use again and again for years to come.
*Reviewed for Zaar World Tour 3* Made as stated only cut back on the red pepper flakes and added extra apricots- mainly for the children's benefit. We really enjoyed this dish. I thought it would have a very runny sauce as it had no thickeners added. The apricots took in all the excess stock and the dish had a fantastic flavour. We will be making this one again. Served with Chef floWers "recipe#221217". Thanks for a great recipe.
Delicious! I love spicy meat and fruit dishes and this chicken fit the bill. I made it as written except that I reduced the red pepper flakes to 1-1/2 tsp. I love very spicy food but I live with a couple of lightweights, so I had to tone it down a bit. I served this over roasted garlic couscous and served it along with roasted acorn squash. We enjoyed this dish very much...thank you for sharing. Made for ZWT3.