1/1 Photo of Moroccan-Style Chicken
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Moroccan-style chicken which can be served on a bed of steamed couscous or rice. The chicken is garnished with paprika and parsley, with a tahini sauce mixed with a blend of herbs on the side. Made from sesame seeds, tahini is an excellent source of both calcium and protein. This recipe is from an International Masters '1001 recipes for pan or wok' recipe card, and has been posted for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. Don't be daunted by the seemingly long list of ingredients: most are herbs and spices! You can vary the proportions of the herbs - parsley, mint and coriander - to suit your taste preferences, as long as you have 3 tablespoons in total. The preparation and cooking times do not include the 30 minutes needed for marinating the chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lemons
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 150 ml olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped, plus sprigs to garnish
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, plus
- extra paprika, to garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 chicken legs
- 15 g unsalted butter
- 12 stuffed green olives
- 200 g tahini
- 1Squeeze the juice from 1 lemon, peel and crush the garlic, peel and grate the onion; and mix the chopped herbs - parsley, mint and coriander - together so that they are well combined.
- 2Mix the oil (150ml = a generous 1/2 cup), lemon juice, garlic, onion and two tablespoons of the herbs together; stir in the paprika and cumin; place the chicken in a shallow dish, pour the oil mixture over the chicken and turn, to coat, and marinate for 30 minutes.
- 3Heat the remaining oil with the unsalted butter in a non-stick pan.
- 4Remove the oil from the marinade and reserve half of the marinade.
- 5Sauté the chicken for 40-50 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked right through.
- 6Cut the remaining lemon into wedges, halve the olives, and add both to the pan with the reserved marinade, and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the lemon wedges start to change colour.
- 7Mix the tahini and the remaining herbs.
- 8Divide the chicken between 4 warm plates, and serve with the tahini/herb mixture garnished with parsley and paprika.
- 9Variation: If you cannot find tahini, use hummus mixed with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil or lemon juice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan-Style Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 966.7
- Calories from Fat 750
- Total Fat 83.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 146.6 mg
- Sodium 174.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 40.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stuffed green olives