Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A quick to make mid-week main course with a Moroccan twist, adapted from a recent issue of the Australian 'Women's Day'.
Top Review by One Happy Woman
This looks great - I'm going to just give it five stars before trying it - because drizzling the eggplant with oil before baking makes total sense and that alone is worth two stars. Three stars for the Moroccan spice touch. /// To make removal of eggplant flesh easier, use a curved, serrated grapefruit knife. Here are the Morrocan spice mixes posted on this site by other users, for quick reference: (1) 5 teaspoons ground nutmeg 5 teaspoons ground cumin 5 teaspoons ground coriander 2 1/2 teaspoons allspice 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon Directions Mix spices together and store in an airtight container. (2) 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg 2 teaspoons ground coriander 2 teaspoons ground cumin 2 teaspoons ground ginger 2 teaspoons turmeric 2 teaspoons salt 2 teaspoons cinnamon 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon cardamom powder 1 teaspoon ground allspice 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (3) 1 teaspoon allspice berry 1 whole nutmeg 20 Spanish saffron threads 2 teaspoons black peppercorns 1 three-inch cinnamon stick 2 teaspoons cardamom seeds 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mace 2 teaspoons ground ginger 2 teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon ground turmeric UPDATE: I made this and it's terrific! 5 stars!
- 2 medium eggplants, halved lengthways
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 500 g ground beef or 500 g ground pork or 500 g ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon moroccan seasoning
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Tomato and Cucumber Salad
- 1 lebanese cucumber
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Using a small knife and a spoon, carefully remove the flesh from the eggplant halves without breaking the skin, and chop the flesh coarsely.
- Place the eggplant halves onto a baking tray, cut side up, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and bake for 10-15 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan, over a medium heat, and sauté the eggplant flesh for 3-5 minutes, until it is golden and tender; remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining oil over a high heat and sauté the onion and garlic for 1 minute, then add the ground meat and cook for 4-5 minutes, until it is well browned, breaking up the lumps as it browns with the back of a spoon.
- Return the eggplant to the pan, add the Moroccan seasoning and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until fragrant. Stir in the tomato, pine nuts and sugar and season to taste.
- Fill the eggplant halves with the meat mixture and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and tender.
- Serve with the tomato and cucumber salad and fresh crusty bread.
- Tomato and Cucumber Salad: Chop the cucumber and toss the cucumber pieces and halved cherry tomatoes with the olive oil and red wine vinegar and season to taste.