1/1 Photo of Moroccan Stuffed Dates
Stuffed dates are a Moroccan sweet traditionally served during Ramadan and special occasions. Orange flower water and cinnamon are used to flavor the almond paste filling. If you prefer, you can replace the orange flower water with lemon zest. Garnish the stuffed dates as desired with granulated sugar, walnut pieces or even a little shredded coconut. Select firm, chewy dates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Blanch and peel the almonds. Bring some water to a boil in a small pot. Add the almonds and leave to boil for one or two minutes. Remove the almonds from the heat and drain. While the almonds are still warm, remove the skin by pinching individual almonds between your forefinger and thumb. Leave the skinned almonds to cool.
- 2Make the almond paste. Process the almonds, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor until the almonds are a powdery mixture which is moist enough to pack. Add the butter and orange flower water and continue processing until a smooth paste forms around the blade. Remove the paste from the processor.
- 3Stuff the dates. Roll small cylinders of almond paste the same length as your dates, but only about 1/3 the diameter. Take a date, make a vertical cut deep enough to remove the pit, but not so deep as to cut the date in half. Discard the pit, insert a cylinder of almond paste, and press the sides of the date firmly around the paste, while leaving a portion of paste exposed. Repeat with the remaining dates and almond paste.
- 4Garnish the dates. This is an optional step; you might try one of the following methods or be creative and come up with your own:.
- 5Top the exposed paste with a piece of walnut, shredded coconut, or light dusting of cinnamon.
- 6Roll the stuffed date in granulated sugar.
- 7Score the exposed almond paste with the dull side of a paring knife, then roll the date in sugar.
- 8Store the stuffed dates in an airtight container in the fridge. Bring them to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Tropical Fruits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tropical Fruits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Stuffed Dates
Serving Size: 1 (657 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 79.9
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.0 mg
- Sodium 19.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange flower water