Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe from my husbands Mens Health Magazine. I made a few tweaks, one of which was to use boneless skinless breasts rather than the boneless skinless thighs the recipe called for. By making these changes I was able to get the fat down from over 16 grams to a little over 5, and cut the calories by more than half! This went together quickly and was very delicious. The house smells heavenly while this is cooking! (This could easily be made vegetarian by omitting the chicken.)Would make an impressive dinner for guests with very little effort!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a deep saute pan over med-high heat. Salt and pepper the chicken place it in the pan. Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side until browned. Add zucchini and continue cooking, stirring occasionally.
- When the zucchini begin to brown add the garbanzo beans, water, tomatoes, cayenne, cumin, and cinnamon. Lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is tender and cooked through. (do not cover the pan).
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with steamed rice, or couscous.
My husband made this for me tonight; he has been making for himself for a few years (we're newlyweds). His recipe called for thighs too but he knows I don't like dark meat so he used boneless chicken breasts. It was very very tasty but a tad hot for me. I'd use 1/4 tsp cayenne if I were to make it; not 1/2 tsp.
Made this the other day with skinless boneless chicken thighs. Added raisins and dried apricots to the recipe, and stewed it for much longer then the 20 minutes requested in the recipe. The sauce cooked down to a thick sauce and the result was incredible! Thanks for the recipe. Next time i will make it with chicken breast.
I used chicken breast to make this dish and it smelled wonderful, the only problem we had was that it was extremely hot to us so next time I make this I will either cut down or leave out the cayenne pepper. Other than that the veggie mix and other flavors were amazing. Thank you for posting.